Thursday, December 29, 2011

Wednesday, Dec. 28

Sometimes it really is the little things in life. As mentioned earlier, I love to swim and today found me back in the pool. Despite that I've been swimming for a lot of my life, I have never really perfected the art of switching sides when I come up to take a breath. I can handle four strokes in a row, but for some reason, rotating sides while breathing has been a challenge. While swimming today, I watched the person next to me and saw how flawlessly they were switching sides to breathe and just studied what they were doing that I wasn't. Turns out that if you want to switch sides that you breathe on, you have to do it every three strokes, not every four. (In hindsight, this seems obvious, but for whatever reason I never got that.) Once I figured that out I decided to just go for it and hope for the best. It worked great!! I'll admit, the first few strokes weren't pretty and there was definitely a lot of water up my nose, but after a lap or two, I was golden! I also don't get nearly as tired out or short of breath when I'm breathing every three, so I could do more laps in a row without taking a kicking break. Woo hoo!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment